Monday, December 1, 2008

The Power of Handwriting

Today I got a Thank You card from clients that I helped sell a home, and find a new home. They are delightful people, and our transactions both went very smoothly. It was fun spending time with them, and their two daughters. The house we found met all of their "must have" criteria, and even most of their "wish list" criteria, with the most important criteria of a sunny, level backyard.

The house we found backed up to a cemetary, and other than that, it was perfect! They spent quite a long time reflecting on living next to the cemetery, and finally decided to go with this property.

Reading their card, I was happy to hear that they love this house, and "actually really like living next to the cemetary (as long as we don't think about it too much :-)"!

More and more in this internet age, we see hello, goodbye, thank you, happy birthday, congratulations being made via email, and there is nothing wrong with that, except that it just isn't the same as opening an envelope and seeing the familiar handwriting of someone you know.

I have boxes of cards I have saved over the years from friends, family and clients. Every once in awhile, it's nice to open those boxes and read again the messages, and see the handwriting. It's the handwriting that carries as much weight as the message, at least for me, since it is the handwriting itself that makes me "see" the person in my minds eye, and it is the handwriting that makes me keep these cards. I've never printed and kept an email in my storage boxes ... do you?

So, Dave and Laura, thanks for taking the time to write a card and mail it to me! I appreciate it, and I'll appreciate it again some years from now too.